We have lots of news to share! 2017 will be a very busy year for our Education Committee. Please click on the link below to go directly to an article or scroll down the page on your own!
The Education Committee continues to explore all options for a tuition-free high school on the North Shore. In an ongoing effort to address all aspects of the due diligence required for opening a tuition free school, members of the committee continue to meet with numerous individuals who specialize in many different aspects of education and charter schools. We are sensitive to the existing schools and continue to support their efforts while exploring all avenues for a tuition-free high school for our North Shore community.
The main issues are:
- Site and facilities
- Enhanced requirements for charter application
- Attracting an excellent team to head up the school, from advisors and administrators, to teachers.
- Support from communities & government
Following in the successful footsteps of Aloha Angels’ programs which support after school mentoring and clubs for elementary schools, our committee is working to bring after school programs to North Shore middle & high school students. We are applying for federal funds for a 21st century learning center and hope to have the program funded for a five year term. The initial programs the learning center intends to provide are:
- “Help me with my Homework” after school tutoring
- Code Camp
- ACT and SAT prep
Savor, A Wine and Chocolate Event:
Mark your calendars–this year’s event will be held on Saturday, August 19th!
The fundraising from last year’s Savor event resulted in $7,000 grants to each of the following:-
- Aloha Angels – monies have been used to start after school mentoring programs and clubs. Hanalei School has successfully started quilting and code
- Pu’ukumu School – scholarship programs
- UH Foundation – scholarships to benefit North Shore college students
We plan to tap into more funding opportunities as well. Stay tuned for updates!
Your Education Committee Members:
Lorri Mull, Chair & Board Liaison
Please also visit and “Like” our Facebook page.