What is a Community Foundation?
A community foundation is a non-profit organization that allows donors to fund charitable projects in their local communities. The Council on Foundations, the nation’s professional association of foundations, has outlined six characteristics of community foundations:
• Flexible, yet permanent collection of funds supported by a wide range of donors.
• Relative independence to determine the best use of those funds to meet community needs.
• Governing board of volunteers, knowledgeable about their community and recognized for their involvement
in civic affairs.
• Commitment to provide leadership on pervasive community problems.
• Commitment to assist donors to identify and attain their philanthropic goals.
• Adherence to a sense of “community” that overrides individual interests and concerns.
Today, there are more than 650 community foundations serving cities, towns and geographic areas all over the United States. Now the North Shore of Kauai has its own community foundation and you can be a part of it. The Kauai North Shore Community Foundation is dedicated to raising funds for community projects and also to establishing endowment funds that can make grants for charitable purposes.
The Kauai North Shore Community Foundation was created to enhance the educational, cultural, and charitable vitality of Kauai’s North Shore. The Foundation connects donors with special projects to meet community needs. Our Board of Directors and Advisory Council are comprised of North Shore residents who are passionate about a thriving local community.
The Foundation was incorporated in the State of Hawaii on July 25, 2012 as a 501(c)(3) Charitable Organization. Donations are tax-deductible.
The Foundation has defined the Kauai North Shore as including all the communities of Anahola, Moloa’a, Kilauea, Princeville, Hanalei, Wainiha, Haena, and all the places in between. This geographic definition allows for a broader and progressive understanding, to inspire these communities to work together and thrive together.